Congratulations To D and Kim & Brian and Janina!!! Welcome Bretheren Babies: Elizabeth Hall and Kendall Freeland!! Word on the street is that Cpt. Aaron "A-Team" Ashley is home from Iraq. . .There have been several reports of Utah sightings in Polk County. . .The Bretheren Is Brought to you by NOBAMA!!!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

We've Seen It!





...and it's AWESOME!!







The Real Rocky inspiration:















in 1975, it was announced that Chuck Wepner would challenge Muhammad Ali for the world's Heavyweight title. Wepner had previously been forced to work as a liquor salesman and security guard to make ends meet. Wepner had also been a United States Marine before his fight with Ali. This bout was the first time he had been able to train full time for a bout. Most fans took the fight as a joke, and Ali was heavily favoured to retain the belt in the fight, held on March 24 at Cleveland. Before the fight, a reporter asked Wepner if he thought he could survive (15 rounds) with the champion, to which Wepner allegedly answered:
"I've been a survivor my whole life...if I survived the Marines, I can survive Ali."
Against all expectations, Wepner managed to knock down Ali when he reached his ribs with a right hand in the ninth round and sent the champion to the canvas. Wepner proudly told his manager, "Hey, I knocked him down.The manager replied

"but he looks really pissed off now..."

Despite being dominated by Ali, who cut Wepner above both eyes, Wepner battled gamely on, finally losing by a TKO in the 15th. After the Ali fight, Wepner fought through 1978, but never got another title shot.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even the hard-to-please B-Man liked it!

Mags = 7/10 stars
Wolfy = 7/10
B-Man = 3/5
Dr. Hamster = 7/10

(FYI: If the theater wasn't 95 degrees because of the 450+ people in there, it would've been a 8/10)

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

theater jam packed, the crowd was going crazy, an energy in the air, the movie. . .WOW!!! even bman liked it!!!

can't wait to see it again!!!

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damnit, I wish I could have seen it early. I thought it was going to be an all Bretheren event, but I understand seeing it early. Hell I would have seen it early if I had the chance. I can't wait until next week for the opening so that I can post my review. But for those who saw it early..."I must break you!!!"

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lets not forget wepner has been sueing stallone for years because he is a jackass and thinks he should get some rocky money

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point Hawks...he's also been in and out of jail on cocaine possession charges.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home